- Freedom of speech was established in the First Amendment of the United States Constitution in 1791 along with freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and the right to assemble.
- Protection of speech was first introduced when the Magna Carta was signed in 1215.
- 70% of Americans agreed that people should have the right to free speech, even if their words are highly offensive.
- Greek philosopher Socrates, in 399 BC, was persecuted for an early argument promoting free speech.
- In Schenck v. United States (1919), the Supreme Court invented the famous "clear and present danger" test to determine when a state could constitutionally limit an individual's free speech rights under the First Amendment.
Feel free to use content on this page for your website or blog, we only ask that you reference content back to us. Use the following code to link this page:
Trouble finding content for a t shirt or campaign? Here are some search terms related to to try browsing:
Best Slogans © 2017
Freedom Slogans Generator
Freedom Slogans & Sayings
Freedom is important because the Ultimate perceiving Conscious principle your Self, is free by nature, but could believe itself to be bound by states of the mind and confinement of the body. When there is physical and mental freedom it is a reflection of its true nature and there is Happiness.
Freedom is a condition in which people have the opportunity to speak, act and pursue happiness without unnecessary external restrictions. Freedom leads to enhanced expressions of creativity and original thought, increased productivity, and an overall high quality of life.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Daniel J. Boorstin
Inspiring quotes on freedom and being free:
- "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." -Albert Camus
- ""Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -Ronald Reagan
- "If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." -George Washington
- "For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." -Nelson Mandela
- "T"Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life." -Bob Marley